Following the 2021 MATE Act, all healthcare providers with a DEA license are now required to attest to 8 hours of instruction in the treatment and management of patients with opioid or other substance use disorders during their next DEA license renewal.
Orbit makes it easy to earn the one-time 8-credit DEA requirement by reviewing abstracts and articles related to controlled substances on your browser (Chrome or MS Edge) or iOS device. Here's how.
1. Sign up for any Orbit plan if you haven't already
Choose option A or B:
(A) Sign up for the Orbit plan that relates to your specialty
(B) Select any DEA plan. Micro if you just need the 8 credits. Basic or Pro for better pricing per credit.
Once you've signed up, follow these getting started instructions for Edge or Chrome browser (or these instructions for iOS).
2. Read any eligible abstract or article related to the treatment of opioid or other substance abuse disorders
Here's a great list of recent open-access articles related to the topic, listed on PubMed related to controlled substances.
When you browse with the Orbit CME app or install the Orbit extension on Chrome or Edge, Orbit detects when you visit any abstract on PubMed, NEJM, JAMA, A&A, Journal of Anesthesiology, and many more peer-reviewed sources.
3. Redeem detected abstracts or articles for credit
- Go to your Earn tab on your browser or the Orbit CME iOS app.
- Use the "Controlled Substances" tag when redeeming.
- Redeem 16 abstracts or articles to earn the required 8 credits.
- Only redeem topical articles; the exact articles you redeem are available for audit.
If your plan is on a trial, you will need to activate your trial after redeeming 0.5 credits, which is when your credit card is charged.
Questions? Email email@example.com